Fire investigators continue their probe into the Regent Street fire which gutted several businesses
Fire investigators are continuing their probe into that Regent Street fire which completely gutted several businesses. The investigators are zeroing their investigations to the building which housed a Chinese store and where the fire began. Sources say from all indications so far, the fire may have been as a result of one of the Chinese nationals who were in the store falling asleep while smoking.
The lit cigarette may have caught on to the fabric in the store and the fire got out of control in minutes. Some other Chinese nationals who were in the building at the time after a night of unpacking a container of stock had to be rescued. The building where the fire began was owned by businesswoman Claire Pires. The Chinese rented a part of the building from her where they set up their store and also a storage bond.
It is the owner of that Chinese store that the investigators believe may have fallen asleep while smoking. The fire ripped through a number of buildings and forced the fire service to bring in additional tenders to assist as it got out of control. It hop scotched its way to the nearby buildings, many of them wooden buildings and within minutes they were all engulfed.
Some businessmen who are counting their losses are not too pleased with the work of the fire service since they believe the firemen could have done more to contain the blaze to just one building. But as enrico woolford reports right now, the fire service has always had a problem with all of those not working hydrants across the city, especially in the business district.